Oooooo Witchy Woman, she got the flounce in her skirt.

10.31.2014

Happy Halloween everyone! Do you have any fun plans cooked up for tonight? We're planning on taking Desmond for his first real door to door trick or treat experience. Previous years he's been ecstatic about sitting on the door step handing candy to other kids. His brain might implode with pure joy when someone hands him candy instead. What ever happens I'm looking forward to raiding his candy stash later. We all know he's not gonna eat those Almond Joy's.
This year I was in the mood to sew a costume, but didn't feel like spending the money to buy materials for something that would hardly get any use. The extent of my Halloween celebrations are hiding in another room while my husband is on the candy distribution duty. Can't let those adorable kiddies have the chance to pass their germs on to me. I see you hiding that bubonic plague under your Iron man mask! Never trust a cad like Tony Stark.

So instead of a costumy costume I took a page from some Halloween lovers on instagram and hatched a plan to "Dress like a witch." Well not a Wizard of Oz witch, or a Hocus Pocus witch, or even a Stevie Nicks witch. No disrespect Stevie, I can't carry off a shawl like you. Instead I decided to focus on the basics, the color black and some stripes thrown in.  Everyone know witches love stripes, right? Probably cause they make your eyesight vibrate until your pupils go all crossed. Once you can see again it's too late, you're in the witch's sack. Muhhaaa! Cannibalistic Treats!
For my quasi witch outfit I chose the Kitschy Coo trifecta top and Burda 6834 for the skirt.  I've made the trifecta top a couple of times in more sweatery knits and liked the fit.  In this bamboo knit the upper sleeves and bust area seemed to be too baggy.  I went back and removed 2" total at the underarm and tapered that out to the waist and elbow area. The neckband was also reduced in width to 1/2".
Burda 6834 is basically a princess line pencil skirt with a flounce sewn to the hem. Mine is sewn in some light weight wool suiting that was laying in the stash. I'd been toying around with the idea of drafting some sort of flouncy skirt when JoAnn's had sale on Burda patterns. Natch, drafting averted! Now I can use my free time to carve intricate jack'o lanterns.
I do owe a big thank you to a lot of my lovely sewing friends on Instagram.  My first muslin of this pattern was less than stellar looking on me.  I wasn't sure what the problem was, but figured a picture on instagram couldn't hurt. Immediately you guys told me to shorten the flounce length and just like that the skirt was 100% times better. Thank you all!!!!

My final flounce length is between the two specified in the pattern.  I used view B's cut line as the hem turn line. A 5/8" hem was added on so that I could finish the skirt with a machine rolled hem. Might as well take advantage of black hiding everything and give Froggie the night off from hemming.  His paws were covered in chocolate anyway.

Pattern
Burda 6834 - Used a combo of size 16 for the waist and size 18 for the hips. People with normal sized rear ends most likely wouldn't to bump the size up in the hips.

Fabrics used
Shell - Lightweight stretch wool suiting.
Lining - Polyester lining.

Pattern changes/alterations
- Took in the back princess line seam 1.5".
- Cut down the front waist 3/8".
- Used the flounce cut line for view B as my skirt length. Added 5/8" hem allowance for a small rolled hem.

Confessions/Advice
- Instructions tell you to interface the top of every pattern piece.  I used a roll of fusible stay tape pressed into the seam allowance for this.

- I skipped hemming the lining because it is so far up into the skirt no one is ever going to see it.

- Skirts without waistbands are not my preferred construction. Would add one if I make this pattern again.

Husband Comment
"It's sexy and professional!" Now I feel like naming this look "Profession witch."

My Final Thoughts
OK, so I thought, "This is gonna be a special occasion type of skirt." NOPE! Gonna wear it allllll the time. Basic black, you always do right by me. However.....if I was to make another one in a bright color which one should I go with? Just don't say orange or brown because then Froggie will have to slap you. Sorry it's a house rule. The other house rule we have is "EAT ALL THE CHOCOLATE!" Hand over the bag of assorted snicker varieties and no one gets an evil hex placed upon them.  Happy Halloween!

24 comments:

  1. This is the perfect witchy outfit. That skirt looks fantastic, I would wear it all the time too. For another version I think it would look great in red, or maybe a do the flounce in a contrasting colour. Have fun trick or treating tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That skirt is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this outfit. I made the same skirt recently and having lost a little weight it is now too big.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gdo look like a corporate witch! But in a good way. Bright color skirt? Turquoise blue or hot pink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, naturally, I'm lovin' those shoes! The skirt is lovely, I made a similar one from Capital Chic patterns and wear it constantly (also in black). I think a print would work well for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Red or emerald for MkII. It's a gorgeous skirt and very pro-witch! We took Boy trick or treating for the first time last night too; a skipping zombie is surreal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My eyes, my eyes!!! Every time I scrolled those witchy stripes made my pupils vibrate! (I know you planned that!) Seriously tho- that is the perfect outfit. My 2 favorite colors- black and white... a striped top and a basic skirt you can wear all the time- but not TOO basic cuz you have that flounce. Nice! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the skirt! Very cool. If you want other colors you could try a royal blue or, my favorite, purple.
    I love handing out candy - but only give the treats that are kid-appropriate. Heath bars and Almond Joys are mine. They can have the Jolly Rancher lollypops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get the Mr. Goodbars and M&Ms. I think the skirt needs to be made in every jewel color. Or every bright color. Or both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. prolificprojectstarterNovember 1, 2014 at 3:35 PM

    Magenta/hot pink I reckon

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd send you some Goodbars if we had them. There's a woeful lack of Milky Ways. Like the sound of this skirt in a jewel color. Wonder if I have something like that in the stash.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank Bobbie. Purple, purple, purple, I like that. Would have to buy some fabric to make that possible. Ohhhh Noo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwww, I like thinking about your little skipping zombie. I hope you got to steal a candy bar or two.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haa haa! AHHHHH our eyes. Froggie get us the protective eyewear.
    That flounce, I love it more than expected. Like you said, it's a basic but not.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Fadanista, I've got to keep my shoe reputation up with you. :) Never thought about doing this pattern in a print. That could be really fun and girly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Mrs. Smith!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Gail. Not having your me mades fit anymore is the only downside of loosing some weight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Gaylen. I'd love a hot pink one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah baby, either one would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Heather. You don't have to twist my arm much to get me to sew red. :) I think the little guy had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This turned out so great! I'm way behind on my blog reading, but I'm glad I checked in on this post because I love this look on you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Ginger! You know what? The damn waist area has already stretched out. Now I have to do some ripping and put a waistband on it. Should have known better.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Patterned, love me a leopard print pencil skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, I didn't even think of that! Will be keeping my eyes peeled for a likely fabric. Thanks Sara. :)

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs